Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rick Pitino May Have Received Some Good Advice

In a bizarre story coming out of Louisville over the weekend, it appears Rick Pitino is being extorted. Well, someone is attempting to extort the UofL men's head basketball coach. I'm not sure if he actually has to pay out the money from the threat to have been extorted. Anyway, attempting to extort is just as illegal as extorting. Pitino released the following statement yesterday:

“My family and I were recently threatened as part of a criminal scheme to extort money. Upon receiving these threats, we reported this extor
tion attempt to the FBI. While I did not want to make this matter public, I recently learned that the individual behind this extortion attempt has already gone to the media with false, defamatory and outrageous allegations in an attempt to pressure me to cave in to this scheme. I want to make it clear that I intend to vigorously defend my reputation and the character of my family against any criminal scheme to extort money. I am hopeful that the media and public will recognize the slanderous nature of this direct and malicious attack. My family and I appreciate the support we have received from Tom Jurich, Dr. James Ramsey, and the entire Louisville family. Because this is a federal criminal investigation, I cannot comment further at this time. Any inquiries should be directed to my attorney, Steve Pence.”

However, prior to this statement, no news outlets had reported on any defamatory or outrageous allegations concerning Pitino. More information rolled in yesterday and it appears the culprit behind the scheme is this woman:

(scary)
So, based on Pitino's released statement this woman is alleging Pitino had an affair with her at best, and who knows at worst. One would assume she told Pitino she would be airing whatever it is to the public unless Pitino paid her a certain amount of money. Pitino refused to pay (bad move, unless really untrue) and decided to issue a preemptive strike by releasing a statement.

The really wierd part of the story is that this women is the former wife of UofL's current equipment manager and Pitino's former personal assistant when he was with the Boston Celtics. One would also assume Pitino had spent quite a bit of time with his friend's wife at social gatherings, dinners, etc. It all makes for quite a weird story that should develop over the next few days.

Pitino's statement publicizes this women as a criminal so any statement she gives concerning the allegations against Pitino are received under that cloud. It seems like a pretty smart move at this point. The only way I see it as being a mistake was if this women was bluffing, and hadn't gone public with her story. Pitino maybe knows her better than most, and likely realized she was certifiably crazy.

Regardless of whether her story is true or false, Pitino has shown she is a criminal, a crazy criminal. And with the way Pitino is deified in Louisville, this woman's story will be hard for locals to believe.

Despite the outcome of this it serves as an important lesson to the youth: Never promise crazy a baby. Don't do it.

EDIT UPDATE: The lawyer of the woman being investigated by the FBI for attempts to extort Pitino has released a statement that all but admits guilt on the part of his client. He says:

“There is a federal investigation going on, and there may be criminal charges placed against her as a result of what coach Pitino has brought to the attention of the FBI,” Clay said. “. . . There are no counter allegations, and as far as I am concerned this criminal investigation is going to proceed to a logical conclusion and I hope that we can put this matter behind us as quickly as possible.”

I told you Pitino was deified in that town. I'm not a lawyer yet, and by no means feel as if I have the intelligence to give others advice, but here is what I say if somehow reached (which would have been hard to do in the first place): No comment at this time. That doesn't seem to hard.

It appears the advice Pitino received to release a preemptive statement is more than paying off.

3 comments:

  1. I find it amusing to hear a member of Big Blue Nation referring to the degree to which Rick Pitino is "deified" in Louisville, considering the statewide euphoria surrounding all things Calipari that has been going on since his hiring. The residents of Louisville may love Pitino, but the semi-religion that is Big Blue Nation takes the crazy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. There was an element of sour grapes to that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot of deifying going on in the Bluegrass. I guess the point I was trying to make is that by Pitino getting the extortion story out there first, people are already defending him and whatever this woman was threatening to spread really doesn't have a chance.

    ReplyDelete