Thursday, April 2, 2009

Quarter Pounder with Cheese: 2009 McDonald's All-America Game
















Let me start by saying I'm not sure doing a post on the McDonald's All-American Game is a good idea. There's really not a worse format from which to evaluate talent. (No one plays defense. No one blocks out.) However, grainy YouTube videos aren't exactly ideal either. So, please take these evaluations with a grain of salt. I'm sure the majority of these players will be fine college players. However, these are my early impressions.

Best in Show

Derrick Favors
Georgia Tech 6-9 235
The game's MVP wasn't flawless, but I now see what the big deal is. Wonderful feel for the game. Nice frame. Knack for being in the right place at the right time. Never seemed to be pressing but was still the star of the show. If I had to guess, I'd say he'll end up being the best of the bunch.

Wow

Avery Bradley
Texas 6-3 180
Very athletic. Fast with the ball in his hands and a nice finisher. Can really get to the basket. I would imagine he will be more than an adequate replacement for A.J. Abrams. Perhaps a more fluid Jarryd Bayless.

Xavier Henry
undecided 6-6 225
I really like his game. Great body. Has the upper body strength to get to the basket at will. Appears to excel in every phase of the game. With his advanced physical development, he might not have the upside of some of these other kids. Looked a little slower than I thought he would, but now I'm just nit-picking.

Dominic Cheek
Villanova 6-6 185
There's no herky-jerk in Cheek's game. Extremely fluid and sneaky athletic. Quietly had a really nice game. Didn't force anything and scored in a variety of ways. Silky smooth jump shot. I really like this kid.

Almost Wow

DeMarcus Cousins
undecided 6-11 265
Cousins has the herky-jerks. Not a fluid athlete, but he does have size. Also plays like a basketball player as opposed to someone who plays basketball simply because he is big. To his credit, he was a standout in the All-Star game format, which is difficult for post players. Played with energy and looks like he has room for further development.

Keith Gallon
Oklahoma 6-9 293
Almost a “man among boys” situation with Gallon. Just a monster, and I was surprised to see that he runs the floor well. (By the way, Chris, when I say that someone runs the floor well, it means that I think they do a nice job of getting up the floor on the break and back down the floor on defense.) I'm convinced he's going to be an impact player for the Sooners from the day he steps on campus.

John Henson
North Carolina 6-10 200
I was prepared to hate this kid's game. But Henson has a nice skill-set and a ton of upside. With his slight build, I expected the future Tar Heel to get pushed around. It really didn't happen all that much. If the kid develops physically, he could be special. And, if he doesn't, he's still going to be a good.

Better than Expected: Tier 1

Peyton Siva
Louisville 6-0 175
Rajon Rondo-type vertical at the point and waterbug quick. Loves to dribble, which has to change at the next level. Finished with nine assists, but it's clear the guy likes to score. With his top-shelf athleticism, I think his game benefited from the All-Star game format.

Dante Taylor
Pittsburgh 6-9 230
Awkwardly efficient. The fact that he likens himself to David West makes me happy. Will fit in nicely at Pitt. I'll be interested to see how he plays in a non-All-Star game setting, as I think he has the potential to be a gritty banger (which makes sense since he is going to playing for Jaime Dixon). I think Taylor could end up being dominant on the glass, though I thought he'd be more physially imposing.

Better Than Expected: Tier 2

Tommy Mason-Griffin
Oklahoma 5-11 192
With Mason-Griffin and Gallon, the Sooners are getting extra beefy. His stats weren't great, but I like his court presence. He's going to cause problems for defenders with his girth. I don't think the All-Star game format lends itself to Mason-Griffin's strengths.

Renardo Sidney
USC 6-10 250
Seemed a little out of shape, but I like what I saw early. Smooth athlete for a man of his size. As the game progressed, Sidney stopped banging and started hanging around the perimeter. He also wore long-sleeved Under Armour under his jersey. Not a good look.

Mason Plumlee
Duke 6-11 220
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Plumlee is alright. I expected this kid to be completely over-shadowed by the competition, but he more than held his own. Nice finisher around the basket. But still isn't going to provide the Blue Devils with the back-to-the basket threat (or the banger) they so desperately need.

Withholding Judgment

Abdul Gaddy
Washington 6-3 183
I liked Gaddy more than the rest of the guys in this category, but I didn't see enough to really have a strong opinion. Actually played like a point guard which is a plus. Appears to be a patient, heady player. Reminds me a little of Jordan Farmar.

Dexter Strickland
North Carolina 6-3 180
Surprisingly, Strickland was a bit of a no-show. Hard to get a feel of what he's capable of. He did seem to be pretty comfortable in the open floor. Have to believe this guy is legit, though, with all the hype surrounding him.

Maalik Wayns
Villanova 6-1 185
Seemed to be a little overwhelmed by all the athleticism. Played even smaller than his measurements suggest. To his credit, he did dish out eight assists.

I Expected More

Lance Stephenson
undecided 6-6 220
I thought Stephenson might blow up a la Tyreke Evans, but Born Ready was ultimately underwhelming. Seemed heavy-footed and, dare I say it, a tad unathletic by comparison. I still think he's going to be a very solid college player.

Michael Snaer
Florida State 6-5 200
I was excited about Snaer, but he didn't show me much. Seemed to be pressing.

Underwhelming

Milton Jennings
Clemson 6-9 215
Jennings seemed outmanned by the competition from a purely athletic standpoint. Played weak and, when interviewed, said he'd rather play on the perimeter. He'll get the chance next year with Trevor Booker and Raymond Sykes in the post, but you never like to hear that from a 6-9 kid. Didn't really show the range that he is known for.

Alex Oriakhi
Connecticut 6-9 240
Reminds me a little of Ike Diogu. However, Alex thinks of himself as being Emeka Okaforesque. I didn't see it tonight. Seemed a little awkward at times, but he's got a big frame to work with. Plus, he seems to have a nice motor. As he is tall and will be playing for Jim Calhoun at UConn, I have to think things will ultimately work out just fine for Oriakhi.

Kenny Boynton
Florida 6-3 190
Apparently, Boynton's nickname is KB, so that's what I'll go with. Didn't think KB was overly impressive tonight. Kind of forced things. Didn't appear to have a diverse offensive repertoire. Had trouble with his jumper, so he kind of just put his head down and went.

Ryan Kelly
Duke 6-10 217
Perhaps the least impressive of all the participants. Then again, I can't imagine the format fits his skill-set. To his credit, he did look very comfortable with the ball in his hands out on the perimeter.

The Wear Twins

David Wear
North Carolina 6-10 225
Not bad but also not good?

Travis Wear
North Carolina 6-10 230
See above.

MIA

Wally Judge
Kansas State 6-9 230
Didn't play due to injury and didn't get the memo that Bob Huggins is now at West Virginia.

2 comments:

  1. Did you just try to compare Oriakhi with other players with funny names?

    Why is it that whenever there are twins that are high-level recruits they are always big men? The Lopez brothers, the Collins twins, and the Wilson brothers (aka Rock Eaters). Are twins inherently gigantic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually a team effort between Alex and me. I compared him to Ike Diogu. But he compares himself to Emeka Okafor.

    I don't think twins are inherently gigantic. But I do think twins have an exponentially greater chance of being chosen as McDonald's All-Americans than players of equal talent who are not twins.

    ReplyDelete