Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Talent Pipeline Flows Into Lexington

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/uploaded_images/John-Wall-mug-725614.JPG

John Wall, the number one ranked prep basketball player in the country, committed to the University of Kentucky at 3am in the morning today. I had completely prepared myself to not get that down when Wall decided to attend school at either Miami or Duke. By not allowing myself to get to excited about Wall in Lexington, I had sort of trained my mind to believe he was not going to come to UK. Why was this easy for a normally rabidly absurd fan of Kentucky Basketball? Well, we already had the number one recruiting class in the country and things had turned around so quickly for us that it was hard to think things could keep rolling.

Wall's recruitment had been dragging on for several months with the leaders seeming to be Duke, Miami, and UK. Florida and a few others were possibilities, but never had much of a chance. The length of his recruitment seemed to make most forget how important he could be to a team next year, especially a talented team such as Kentucky. Let me give you a rundown of my take on Wall:

I think he is the most purely talented prep player since LeBron James. This is no knock on Derrick Rose, but I think Wall, as a fifth year senior in high school, is better than Rose as a senior in Chicago. Their athleticism is very similar. But, I think Wall is quicker from end to end. Their jump shot is similar. But, from what I read, Wall can get hotter from behind the arc. They both have great handles, but Wall is ambidextrous. Really, he's equally as good with either his left or right. I think Wall is a better passer and defender at this point. The only area I give an edge to Rose is a stronger upper body.

Wall's commitment makes Kentucky the team to beat next year. They have more first round NBA talent than any other team in the country, maybe twice as much as any other team in the country. Now, just because we are talented doesn't make us a lock for the Final Four. It does make us the most exciting team to watch in college basketball next year.

Finally, here is my poster list for the upcoming season. The poster list is the listing of guys I most want to see John Wall dunk on next year.

Poster List:
  1. Edgar Sosa
  2. Jarvis Varnado
  3. Terrence Jennings
  4. Brian Zoubek/Kyle Singler/Mason Plumlee
  5. Tyler Zeller/Ed Davis

5 comments:

  1. I still think Mike Marra goes above Terrence Jennings. Now I'm hoping Calathes comes back so he can be an honorable mention on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of John Wall, I literally had to sit down at work all day so I wouldn't get a sexual harassment complaint filed against me.

    With that said, here are a few individuals I would like to add to the Poster List:

    1. Peyton Siva
    2. The kid cleaning the floor during the IU game
    3. David Wear/Travis Wear
    4. Cole Aldrich
    5. Stanley Robinson
    6. AJ Ogilvey
    7. Tasmin Mitchell
    8. Tyler Smith and his troupe of street children

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, their are soooo many perps I would love for John Wall to dunk on. This is a great idea!!

    5. Joakim Noah
    4. Barack Obama
    3. Tyler Hansbrough
    2. Billy Donovan
    1. John Shyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I almost forgot -- Nancy Pelosi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Gunn,

    Your list is quite ambitious. It will be difficult indeed for John Wall to posterize even one of these individuals. Joakim Noah plays professionally. Thus, to the chagrin of many a member of Big Blue Nation, UK will not be playing the Bulls next season. Obama is the President of the United States and, so, won't be seeing any action in a college basketball game either. Same goes for Nancy Pelosi I assume. Psycho T has graduated and, while he probably wishes he could suit up for the Tar Heels yet again, will be playing professionally somewhere next year. While UK plays the Florida Gators, Billy Donovan is their coach and, therefore, cannot be dunked on. John Scheyer is a possibility, as he is at least a current collegiate athlete. Unfortunately, unless things really come together, UK may not play Duke all season.

    I know I speak for all of the Mariners of RBP, however, when I invite you to submit another list of people you'd like to see John Wall dunk on. Maybe you will have better luck next time around.

    ReplyDelete