Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Quest

My beloved (minus Michael Porter) Kentucky Wildcats are giving up 20 point leads and possession of the basketball in the N(o one cares) I(ncredibly sad) T(ournament) for underachievers. I thought long and hard about not filling out a bracket and even skipping the majority of the tournament games, as well. As those of you who join my in a bracket pool have learned, I changed my mind.

In order to enjoy the best sports season of the year, I would be forced to find a new team worth rooting for in March. It will be a team with a limited purpose, purely for Marches when Kentucky isn't relevant nationally. The hope is for it to be a one time pairing.

I made some conservative picks. Ultimately, I like Louisville, Pitt, and UNC to all make the Final Four. The only one seed I don't particularly like is the Dyson-less, money-hoarding UCONN Huskies. Thabeet doesn't get my blood moving. UCONN will ultimately rely on Adrien, Robinson, Price, and Walker. A good, but not great group. To add some slight intrigue in the West, I'm not a fan of Memphis, either. For the record, I'm never a fan of any team that boasts a road win against Tulsa as their best conference win. While filling, it appeared to me that the Wild West would be the region I would find the team deserving of my March support.

At this point, I'm looking at Mizzou, Washington, and Purdue as possible sleepers emerging from the West. Lorenzo Romar, Mike Anderson, and Matt Painter are all three respectable coaches who are making a case for major openings at the conclusion of the season. The difference is Painter is a Purdue alum, and I don't see him leaving unless it's for a big-time program with the ability to pay upwards of 2 to 3 million a year. Painter gets the advantage.

Mizzou plays at a blinding pace. Washington has speed in Isaiah Thomas, but ultimately tends to play in a half court type game to utilize Brockman. Purdue is from the Big Ten. Mizzou gets the nod in style of play.

I currently live an hour from Mizzou's campus. Purdue is a couple hours from my hometown. I think Washington is in a different country. Purdue gets the nod because I have no allegiance surrounding my current address.

Sidebar: I wanted the analysis of why I chose the new team to be more in-depth but I'm pressed for time and the tournament just started. Sorry, Chris.


After much analysis, debate, and wet-dreaming I narrowed it down to one creamy team:
My team for the tournament, Chris, is

.



.




.


.
PURDUE!



Let me explain.

Sidebar: As I'm writing this, Purdue is up 12 on Northern Iowa. It could be more, but Hummel is shooting left-handed.

I like Matt Painter a lot. I think he is one hell of a coach. They have some young talent that should be there for the next two years, just in case I have to come running back next March. E'Twaun Moore and Robbie Hummel are both sophomores who are extremely well-rounded players. Hummel leads the team in rebounding from the small forward position. Chris Kramer is a stud that can lock up almost anyone in the country. He is hard-nosed, played with a face-mask, and dishes out 2.5 assists a game. JaJuan Johnson is really coming along nicely towards the end of the year. He's developed nice hands and a nice 12 foot jumper that kills the weak spot in zones. Nemanja Calasan can get hot from behind the arc and provides offensive spark off the bench. As a whole, Purdue plays great team defense, holding opponents under 60 points a game. I realize they are playing in the offensively-challenged Big Ten, but it's still an accomplishment.

I've got them in the Final Four, knocking out UCONN and Memphis along the way. If they make it, my bracket sets up nicely. I see them having trouble with teams that press as well as Louisville, and accordingly, have them being knocked out by UofL. However, Purdue is poised to make some noise in this tournament and have a group of guys, a coach, and a program that should be easy to get behind. Let's go Boilermakers! I pray I'm not a curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment